Wednesday 8 February 2012

Evaluation of my animation.


I didn’t know what to expect when I looked at the brief for the first time, but I instantly knew that I would want to design the lair of a super hero rather than a super villain, super villains always tend to be a lot more exciting and are always very controversial, the fact that a super villain does not have any rules or regulations, means that they can do much more than a super hero, I thought this would also mean they might have a more exciting lair, as they may have things in the lair that a super hero might not, such as weapons to a certain degree.
So I knew I wanted a super villain, and after watching hell boy recently I loved the idea of having a Nazi scientist that was part machine in the present day, so hell boy was a massive influence on me, however I found the actual characteristic of the villain in hell boy rather dull, he just looked like a normal member of the SS with a grey mask on, which wasn’t for me, I wanted my villain to literally scream ‘evil’ so I began looking around for more influences, probably one of my favourite character designs of all time was to be general grievous from star wars, he was also one a man, or some sort of living creature, that’s life was now been supported by machine, however I felt his design was not right for this project, he looked to futuristic, and to ‘droid’ like, so then I finally came across some batman animation from 1992, and I loved the design that mr freeze had, and I knew I wanted my super villain to look like this version of mr freeze.
As for my lair, I knew I wanted this to be set in the present day, or near future, so that I could incorporate modern technology, such as the submarine and helicopter, however this wouldn’t tie in to my Nazi scientist if it were any normal lair, so I decided to have my lair built deep underground with access only by helicopter via the helicopter pad, or the submarine dock inside the lair. I had many great and wild plans for my lair, however I have never used 3ds max before, and when I actually came down to start making my lair, I was finding it extremely difficult to even make a wall, so I soon realised some of my ideas weren’t going to be possible at this stage of my course, however now that I have finished dp2, I can look back at my initial ideas and think how I could perhaps do some of them now that I have a moderate understanding of the huge program. I was finding it very difficult to learn the program at first, and was getting extremely frustrated as I knew what I wanted my lair to look like, but I just didn’t know how to get there, however using the tutorials on the NOW and on YouTube, they helped me understand the basics of the program and I am now able to carry myself thru the program and start to learn it at a more in-depth level.

No comments:

Post a Comment